07232014Headline:
5 Green Reasons Costa Rica Is the Poster Child of the Environment 6 months ago
Have You Tried Guanacaste’s Fastest Growing Sport? 6 months ago
Was Your Costa Rican Bank Account Closed? 7 months ago
Latin America Investment News on Viva Tropical

Residents of Roatan, Honduras to Benefit from $7 Million Wind Power Project

Article Summary:

The electric consumers of Roatan are not subsidized by the government and pay a higher usage fee than those living on the mainland. The Roatan Electric Company is set to implement several new forms of renewable energy stratagies for the island, and a direct result will be lower energy costs to island consumers.

Photo Credit: La Prensa Honduras

Original Article Text From La Prensa Honduras via Google Translate :

Build wind power generation project in Roatan

To benefit the residents of Roatan lowering energy costs , executives of Reco and implement new forms of renewable generation as a first step in reversing the energy matrix in the island.

Roatan its energy is generated based diesel, which is more expensive because the international price of fuel affects the energy rate.

The kilowatt per hour is paid on the island to 8.36 lempiras.

The price of energy in the Bay Islands varies because it depends on the number of kilowatts consumed plus the cost of the charges. For example, for 400 kwh in Roatan pay $ 151; in Utila and Guanaja $ 163 $ 175.

Thus arises a wind to produce 3.9 megawatts, which investment will be about seven million dollars, said Richard Warren, vice president of Reco (Roatan Electric Company).

The capacity of the project is for when the winds are favorable, but decrease as the strength thereof.
Investors expect to save 25% on energy costs generated in the wind farm and also reduce carbon dioxide emissions.

Other energy projects
In developing this project, which will last a year, generate about 60 jobs directly and 14 operations will start the job permanently.

Warren said that once installed the wind farm will make it a tourist area, benefiting the surrounding communities and creating jobs.

He added that plans are underway to generate another 10 megawatts of energy from steam-petroleum petcoke low cost, as another solution to the rising global fuel costs.

Mathew Harper, technical director of Reco, said on the agenda with other power generation project using waste solids, whose installed capacity is four megabytes.

The projected investment is $ 30 million.

Oscar Alvarez, Reco adviser, said that with this project not only decrease the price of energy, but also help clean the island, where 65 tons of garbage generated daily-because solid waste is consumed in a process of gasification.

“With these projects we can deliver to Roatan, as the island attractive to invest,” said Alvarez. Luis Rodriguez, Chief Financial Officer Reco, said that Roatan has 13.100 subscribers, of which 90% are residential customers, and the other 10% is distributed to hotels, restaurants, industry and government.

He added that maintenance work on distribution lines of the island so there is no power transmission problems.
The investment is estimated at 20 million lempiras.

Reco executives revealed that for five years KWEI (Klyde Warren Energy Investment) manages the electricity in Roatan, we eliminated the constant blackouts on the island and there is a 99% reliability in service stability. In 2007 when Reco entered Roatan provide this service was only five megawatts installed, and currently have a capacity of 17 megawatts.

Unsubsidized
Statistics Reco show that about four thousand islanders making less than 150 kilowatt hours per month, that is, a L800 pay for electricity, contrary to the mainland, where these low-income subscribers receive a monthly subsidy from the Government.

Two years ago, the National Congress by Decree 51-2010 established that the inhabitants of the Bay Islands were entitled to the subsidy and instructed the Ministry of Finance to cancel the electric generators for the subsidy, but to date subscribers of this department are not insular.

Slow permissions
One of the delays of power company to begin the wind project was the issuance of permits, because the paperwork last more than a year.

“Civil Aviation also has too many obstacles and the Institute of Forestry had shelved the record about two months until finally last week conducted the inspection which will be the project,” noted Steven Guillen, Reco consultant.
Guillen added that he also submitted a proposal to the Municipality of Roatan since December 2011 and are waiting to obtain a letter of intent for the project studies of electricity generation using solid waste .

Link to Original Article:

From La Prensa Honduras

Latin America Investment News on Viva Tropical