5 Green Reasons Costa Rica Is the Poster Child of the Environment 6 years ago
Have You Tried Guanacaste’s Fastest Growing Sport? 6 years ago
Was Your Costa Rican Bank Account Closed? 6 years ago
Latin America Investment News on Viva Tropical

How to File Your Taxes with a Foreign Spouse

Article Summary:

U.S. expats with a foreign spouse often wonder how to file their expat taxes, especially if their spouse doesn’t have a Social Security number.

Photo Credit: Greenback Tax Service

Original Article Text From Greenback Expat Tax Services:

US Expat Taxes: How to File With a Foreign Spouse

Hi everybody my name is David McKeegan. I’m with Greenback Expat Tax Services. Our question today is, what if your foreign spouse does not have a Social Security number, what do you do with your expat taxes? Well there is a couple of different things you can do here. If your foreign spouse does not have a Social Security number and you don’t want to include them on your taxes, there is a number of reasons you might not want to include them. If they are the main bread winner, if you have no intention of ever moving to the U.S. with them, you may not want to bring them under the umbrella of filing U.S. taxes. In that case, your options would be to file Married, Filing Separately. If you have children or other U.S. persons in your family, you can also file as Head of Household, which would give you a larger deduction. You can file Head of Household even if you’re not including your spouse on your tax return.

The followup question to this is usually, well when would I want to include my foreign spouse on my U.S. taxes? Really, the time you’d want to bring a foreign spouse into your U.S. taxes is if you are planning on trying to get them a green card and moving to the U.S. with them. Then you are going to want to show a history of them paying taxes to the U.S. as well. It can help make that process a little bit smoother. That’s all for today, if you have any questions please get in touch. Thank you.

Link to Original Article:

From Greenback Expat Tax Services

Latin America Investment News on Viva Tropical